An internal investigation has been launched into the circumstances under which former inspector general of police Chowdhury Abdullah Al Mamun was made a state witness in cases linked to the July uprising, amid growing questions within the prosecution about the decision.
The issue surfaced during a closed-door meeting of prosecutors on Tuesday at the International Crimes Tribunal, where participants raised concerns over why the former police chief had been granted approver status despite allegations about his role during the protests.
According to people present at the meeting, tribunal prosecutor and cyber expert Tanveer Hassan Zoha questioned the move, noting that there was extensive digital evidence allegedly linking Mamun to orders given to police to open fire on demonstrators during the July movement.
Participants said prosecutors also discussed how Mamun was made a state witness while still serving as head of the police force.
Following the discussion, Chief Prosecutor Aminul Islam ordered an investigation into prosecutors Gazi MH Tamim and Sultan Mahmud over their role in the decision to grant Mamun the status of approver.
A five-member committee has now been formed by the Chief Prosecutor’s Office to examine the matter.
The committee is headed by Aminul Islam and includes prosecutors Abdus Sobhan Tarafdar, Marjina Raihan, Zahirul Amin, as well as a research officer from the tribunal.
Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Aminul Islam said the prosecution had decided to investigate the matter internally.
“If even the slightest link with corruption is found, action will be taken against those responsible,” he said.
The meeting was convened after separate allegations emerged that another prosecutor had demanded a large bribe in exchange for facilitating bail in a case currently under trial.
Prosecutors discussed claims that Saimum Reza Talukder demanded Tk1 crore to arrange benefits for an accused person.
The controversy intensified after a leaked audio recording surfaced, suggesting that members of the prosecution team and individuals connected to the investigation may have been involved in large financial transactions linked to the case.
Saimum has since resigned from his position following the allegations.
During the meeting, prosecutors also raised concerns about the role of former chief prosecutor Tajul Islam, saying earlier complaints about the matter had not been acted upon.
Participants said the investigation committee would also speak with Tajul Islam as part of the inquiry.
The developments have triggered wider questions within the prosecution about accountability and decision-making in cases related to the July uprising, particularly the process through which senior officials accused of involvement in violence were granted the status of state witnesses.





