Iran has issued a stern warning that it would fully close the strategic Strait of Hormuz if its nuclear power facilities come under attack, raising tensions in response to threats from US President Donald Trump.
In a statement released on Sunday, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said that any assault on Iran’s nuclear plants would trigger a complete shutdown of the crucial waterway until the facilities are restored, reports Al Jazeera.
The statement also warned of “widespread attacks” on Israel’s energy infrastructure, regional communication networks, and US-owned companies in the region. Power plants in countries hosting American military bases would also be considered legitimate targets, the IRGC said.
Since a joint US-Israel strike on 28 February, Iran has effectively restricted passage through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important oil shipping routes.
Ships and tankers cannot traverse the waterway without Tehran’s approval, creating significant volatility in international oil markets. Crude oil prices have surged above $100 per barrel.
The United States has taken steps to stabilise the market while repeatedly warning Iran not to obstruct maritime traffic. Iran, however, has stated that US and Israeli vessels-or those affiliated with them-will not be allowed to pass until attacks on its facilities cease.
Any attempts to transit the strait under current conditions could trigger military retaliation.
President Trump has urged NATO allies to deploy warships to maintain safe passage through the strait, but most countries have expressed reluctance amid the heightened tensions.
On 19 March, six nations-the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Japan-pledged to cooperate in securing navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, though no concrete measures have been implemented so far.





