Saudi Arabia has announced a major increase in its film and television production rebate, raising the incentive from 40 per cent to 60 per cent as the country continues efforts to expand its growing entertainment industry.
The announcement was made on Friday at the Cannes Film Festival by the Saudi Film Commission, which described the move as part of an updated cash rebate programme designed to simplify production processes and attract more international projects.
In a statement, the commission said the revised scheme introduces “practical enablers that support every stage of production through clear processes, streamlined pathways and competitive financial support”.
The updated system also includes faster payment procedures aimed at improving cash flow for production companies and helping projects remain aligned with production schedules.
Rasha AlEmam, chief executive of Yellow Camel Studios, said the rebate system had become significantly easier to navigate in recent years.
“Three years ago it was not really a user-friendly rebate,” she told Variety. “But today the systems are in place; the processes, the guidelines, the government approvals. It’s all on paper.”
Speaking about the revised programme, Abdullah bin Nasser Al-Qahtani said the country was aiming to offer not only generous incentives but also faster and more efficient procedures.
“We want to be not just the most generous incentive, but also the most agile one,” he said.
Al-Qahtani added that the commission had worked on improving several operational and regulatory aspects of the programme, including the introduction of a financial audit and disbursement guide to provide filmmakers with greater clarity.
“Through the programme, we are focused on developing an integrated ecosystem that enables filmmakers to work with confidence, empowers the private sector and attracts quality investments that contribute to transferring expertise and knowledge to local talent,” he said.
Saudi Arabia has increasingly sought to position itself as a filming destination since lifting its 35-year cinema ban in late 2017.
Recent international productions filmed in the country include Chasing Red, adapted from the bestselling young adult romance novel by Isabell Ronin. Starring Madelaine Petsch and Gavin Casalegno, the film became the first Hollywood production to be shot entirely in Saudi Arabia earlier this year.
The project was filmed in AlUla, a region in north-west Saudi Arabia known for its desert landscapes, sandstone canyons and oasis surroundings.





