Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are preparing to return to the United Kingdom from California within weeks, reigniting questions over whether the move could help repair Harry’s fractured relationship with his elder brother, Prince William.
The couple have reportedly enrolled their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, in British schools for the autumn term, in a move that signals a longer-term connection with the UK, reports AP.
Their unexpected return has raised questions over where the family will live, who will pay for their security and whether they could ever resume royal duties.
The biggest challenge, however, remains Harry’s relationship with William, the heir to the throne. The brothers’ ties have deteriorated sharply since Harry and Meghan stepped back from royal duties and publicly criticised the monarchy, accusing palace officials of mistreatment, raising allegations of racism and detailing their struggles within the royal institution.
Royal experts have also warned that Harry and Meghan’s return could create concerns over whether they might overshadow William and his wife Catherine as they carry out royal duties.
Craig Prescott, an expert on the UK constitution and monarchy at Royal Holloway University of London, said the royal household would need to consider how the couple’s return could affect the work of the monarchy.
Harry wants children to grow up British
Harry and Meghan are expected to live in a private residence outside London and are not expected to resume royal duties, which they relinquished after moving to California six years ago, according to British media reports.
Their return comes as King Charles III, Harry’s 77-year-old father, continues cancer treatment. Harry has previously spoken about wanting his children to spend more time with their grandfather.
Royal historian Ed Owens said several recent developments may have helped create an opportunity for reconciliation. Harry has spoken publicly about wanting to rebuild relationships, while reports suggest he, Meghan and their children had a positive meeting with Charles at his Highgrove estate in western England last month.
Harry has also said he wants his children to maintain their British identity. Owens suggested the UK may appear safer to the family amid increasing social divisions in the United States.
William may find forgiveness harder
Owens said he expected Charles to forgive Harry, partly because of his role as Supreme Governor of the Church of England and the Christian emphasis on forgiveness.
He said William may find it more difficult to forgive his brother, although a public reconciliation could eventually be possible.
“Privately William never fully forgives his younger brother” remains a possibility, Owens told The Associated Press, but traditional Christian values could encourage a public display of reconciliation.
Charles was informed about Harry and Meghan’s plans on Sunday. The issue was not discussed during their recent visit to the UK.
Relations remain strained
Harry and Meghan’s relationship with the royal family has remained tense since they stepped down from official duties and moved to California in 2020 to pursue financial independence.
The rift deepened after the couple gave a series of interviews and Harry published his memoir, Spare. They said they left Britain because of the pressures of royal life and accused palace officials of failing to support Meghan’s mental health.
They also alleged that a member of the royal family had made a racist remark about their unborn child. Meghan has described herself as biracial.
In a widely watched 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Harry said the reasons behind their departure were “lack of support and lack of understanding”.
Security and legal battles continue
Harry’s disputes with the British media and the UK government have also complicated his relationship with Britain.
He has pursued legal action against newspaper publishers, accusing them of unlawful information gathering and invasion of privacy. Harry and other claimants lost a lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail last month, leaving them facing potentially millions of pounds in legal costs.
Associated Newspapers said its legal costs amounted to £34.5 million ($47 million).
Harry has also challenged the government’s decision to remove automatic police protection for him and his family during visits to Britain.
Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Thursday that security arrangements for Harry and Meghan were a private matter for the couple.
Harry lost his legal challenge against the security decision in May 2025. At the time, he said he hoped to reconcile with his family while continuing to criticise those in Britain whom he believed had mistreated him and Meghan.
Owens said the focus could now shift from past disputes towards rebuilding family relationships.
“Time is a great healer,” he said, suggesting that reconciliation between Harry and Charles could eventually help pave the way for a thaw in relations between the two brothers.





