The release of dismissed army Major Md Sadekul Haque Sadik from prison has been stalled after police filed a new petition to show him arrested in an anti-terrorism case with Khilkhet Police Station.
Sadik was awaiting his release from jail after a court rejected a separate petition to show him arrested in a case under Vatara Police Station.
On Sunday, Sub-Inspector (SI) Md Shahjalal of Khilkhet Police Station submitted the application to show Sadik arrested in Khilkhet anti-terrorism case.
SI Tarequr Rahman of the Prosecution Department said Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Arifur Rahman has scheduled a hearing on the application for next Tuesday in the presence of the accused.
Sadik was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment by a military court verdict on 29 October 2024, and was subsequently sent to jail. He was later arrested in an anti-terrorism case.
Following this, on 7 August of this year, SI Chand Ali of Vatara Police Station filed an application to show Sadik arrested as a suspect in a case concerning the burning of a private car in Vatara area on 11 November 2025.
The police application claimed Sadik had direct and indirect involvement in the vehicle arson as part of a “Complete Shutdown” programme aimed at destabilising the country.
However, Sadik’s defence counsel, HM Al-Amin, argued in court that Sadik was already in prison when the incident occurred, questioning how he could be involved in a car burning outside while in custody.
In response, the court directed the officer-in-oharge (OC) of Vatara Police Station and the case’s investigating officer to submit a written explanation of how Sadik could be linked to the incident while in jail.
The investigating officer appeared in court and submitted the written explanation. Upon reviewing it, Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Mohammad Ehsanul Islam rejected the petition to show Sadik arrested in that case.
Sadik’s lawyer, Al-Amin, said that since there were no other active detention orders against him, the path to Sadik’s release from prison had been cleared. However, his release has now been temporarily blocked by the new application in the Khilkhet case.
According to case documents, police detained several dismissed army personnel at noon on 17 May last year near Khilkhet Bazar for allegedly conducting subversive activities.
The prosecution alleges that after their dismissal, the individuals had been using a social platform named “Sohajoddha” to deliver provocative speeches to tarnish the image of the Bangladesh Army and the country, as well as to disrupt the security of Dhaka Cantonment.
The case was filed by Azizul Islam on behalf of the Headquarters Logistics Area of Dhaka Cantonment. It is in this case that the police have now sought to show Sadik arrested, with the hearing scheduled for Tuesday.





