The Satkhira range of Sundarbans will reopen on 1 September, ending a three-month suspension on fishing, wood collection and tourism in the mangrove forest.
The annual seasonal closure, imposed to protect the mangrove ecosystem, left thousands of forest-dependent coastal families struggling to survive. As restrictions lift, fishermen and tour operators in Shyamnagar are rushing to get their boats, nets and trawlers ready for work.
“My trawler sat idle for three months and suffered heavy damage. I had to borrow money from the cooperative to repair it,” said Nur Islam, a boat owner from Burigoalini. He added that many were forced into debt during the ban and now face the pressure of repayment.
Datinkhali fisherman Jahangir Sana said the shutdown left households dependent on high-interest loans. “We borrowed just to feed our families. Now we have to repay, which will not be easy,” he said.
Local fishermen also alleged that during the ban, when legal fishing was halted, poachers targeted the sanctuary areas, using poison to catch fish and setting traps for deer. They accused the forest department of failing to properly monitor the protected zones.
Burigoalini station officer Ziaur Rahman said the range would reopen on Monday for fishermen, woodcutters and tourists. “So far, 2,970 passes have been renewed across four stations in Satkhira. Permit holders will be allowed to enter upon paying government fees,” he said.