Plagued by protests, violent clashes, and allegations of political nepotism over the recruitment of field enumerators and supervisors, the government’s flagship Family Card programme has been plunged into severe turmoil ahead of its nationwide rollout.
Allegations of political interference, nepotism and irregularities have emerged over the recruitment process cast serious doubt on whether the scheme can impartially identify the nation’s poorest households.
Grievances over flawed recruitment have prompted demonstrations, while government and ruling BNP offices have been padlocked in some areas. Faction of BNP have also protested when their preferred candidates were not selected.
The government plans to bring 1.6 crore families under the programme in phases over four years. A project worth about Tk2000 crore has been undertaken to conduct the household survey and implement other activities.
The programme was launched on Sunday in Ward No 8 of Latifabad Union in Kishoreganj Sadar Upazila. It is expected to expand to every upazila and union by the end of October.
A review of published recruitment lists and information supplied by TIMES correspondents found allegations that BNP leaders and activists, members of affiliated organisations and their relatives had secured positions in several districts. Political pressure and disputes have reportedly delayed results elsewhere.
In Ashtagram Sadar Union, Kishoreganj, appointees include Naima Akter, wife of Chhatra Dal convener Kazi Manju Mia, Rabeya Akter, wife of former Upazila Chhatra Dal convener SM Jabed, Ripon Mia, son of Upazila Krishak Dal president Inus Ali, and Chhatra Dal leader Takbir Ahmed.
Other appointees in the district include Tamim Mia, son of Bangalpara Jubo Dal president Shawkat Mia; Adamapur Chhatra Dal convener Naim Hossain; and former Chhatra Dal member Bayezid Bostami. In Mriga Union, Itna, several Jubo Dal and JASAS figures and the wives of local BNP and Jubo Dal leaders were recruited.
In Damurhuda, Chuadanga, Chhatra Dal activists padlocked the BNP’s Kurulgachhi Union office. They alleged that BNP leaders had selected survey personnel through irregularities and financial transactions while overlooking dedicated party activists.
Most recruits in neighbouring Jibannagar were also reportedly BNP members or affiliates. Allegations were also raised that candidates associated with Jamaat-e-Islami were denied appointments despite passing the examination.
In Feni, one BNP faction demonstrated over alleged irregularities. Party leaders claimed appointments were made from a list supplied by Feni-2 MP Zainal Abedin, while dedicated activists were ignored and some Awami League members were recruited.
Demonstrators demanded the list’s cancellation outside the Feni Sadar Upazila Nirbahi Officer’s office on 13 August.
UNO Sultana Nasrin Kanta said appointments had been made through examinations conducted according to the rules.
Jubo Dal and Chhatra Dal members staged a similar protest in South Surma, Sylhet, demanding that the recruitment be cancelled. A human chain was also held in Bagmara, Rajshahi, over alleged irregularities and discrimination.
In Nachole, Chapainawabganj, BNP and affiliated organisations padlocked the UNO’s office and several government offices last Monday, alleging that appointments did not follow lists submitted by BNP leaders.
A statement by Nachole Upazila BNP Vice-President Shafiqul Islam subsequently went viral. Addressing the UNO, he said: ‘If you go against what we say, you will not be able to work in this office for even an hour. The BNP is a party capable of kicking many UNOs like you out of office.’
In Pirganj, Rangpur, a recording of a heated conversation between the Upazila Chhatra Dal president and the UNO circulated online. Chhatra Dal leader Mostafizur Rahman questioned why Jamaat and Awami League supporters had allegedly been appointed.
The UNO replied that he did not categorise candidates by party affiliation and had made appointments using examination results and information from the National Security Intelligence.
In Burichang, Cumilla, Upazila BNP Joint General Secretary Mohammad Asaduzzaman Monir demanded UNO Tanvir Hossain’s removal, alleging that political affiliation had influenced recruitment.
The published results showed Mahmudul Hasan Niloy of Bakshimul Union appointed as a supervisor and Omar Faruk, an Awami League leader from Sholanal Union, as an enumerator.
Tanvir Hossain said 649 people had applied and 115 were selected after scrutiny.
In Gangni, Meherpur, Jamaat submitted a memorandum alleging political favouritism. Upazila Jamaat amir Rabiul Islam warned that politically influenced recruitment could hinder the accurate collection of information about genuine beneficiaries.
Jamaat Secretary General Mia Golam Parwar also alleged political favouritism and nepotism. He further alleged that women had been sexually abused after being promised cards and that money had been taken from members of the public.
Social Welfare Minister AZM Zahid Hossain rejected claims that political affiliation was being considered.
‘Whether someone supports the BNP is not being considered in the recruitment process,’ he said. ‘The goal is to provide Family Cards to all eligible people,’ he said.
Acknowledging earlier allegations of bribes being paid to obtain social-security allowances, the minister added, ‘Under the Family Card programme, anyone who is eligible will receive a card.’
Rakibul Hassan Rukel from Kishoreganj, Mafuj Nanto from Cumilla, Asif Ikbal from Meherpur, Md Mithun from Chuadanga, Solaiman Hazary Dalim from Feni and Md Shajedul Haque from Chapainawabganj contributed to this report.





