India has violated the norms and practices of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and impaired the dignity of Bangladesh by allowing a group of protesters to gather in front of the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi on 20 December, diplomats and experts have said.
On Saturday night, a group of around 20–25 people gathered outside the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi and chanted slogans. At the time, Bangladesh High Commissioner M Riaz Hamidullah and his family members were present inside the chancery complex.
Sources said the protest was deliberately staged at night, with protesters reportedly waiting until family members residing inside the complex returned home.
On Sunday, India’s Ministry of External Affairs issued a statement downplaying the incident, stating that “about 20–25 youth gathered in front of the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi on 20 December and raised slogans.”
However, experts believe the Indian authorities were fully aware of the protesters’ movements and allowed them to reach the Bangladesh mission. They said that it is virtually impossible for protesters to access the mission, which is located deep inside Chanakyapuri—the heavily secured diplomatic enclave of New Delhi—without official knowledge or clearance.
Former ambassador Md Sufiur Rahman said the dignity of Bangladesh and its high commissioner have been compromised by this untoward incident which reflects a lapse on part of the host authorities.
He added that the incident disrupted peace and created an atmosphere of insecurity and disturbance.
“It would not be surprising if a sense of insecurity develops among the diplomats and members of staff of the mission, which could ultimately hamper the mission’s regular work,” Sufiur Rahman said.
Former ambassador Abdul Hye also described the incident as “an attack on the dignity of Bangladesh.”
“The mission is located deep inside Chanakyapuri, where every movement is closely monitored,” he said. “In such a high-security area, it is not possible for anyone to sneak in and reach the main gate of a mission.”
He added that protesters should have been stopped at a reasonable distance, which did not happen in this case.
“It is unfortunate that a public protest was allowed at the gate of the Bangladesh mission,” Abdul Hye said. “Families with children live on the premises, as the complex includes residential blocks alongside office buildings. Allowing protests at the gate sets a very bad precedent and is detrimental to good neighbourly relations.”
A former diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, said such an incident was unprecedented.
“It never happened in the past that even a small group of protesters could reach the Bangladesh mission located deep inside Chanakyapuri,” he said.
Commenting on the Indian press note, the former diplomat said Bangladesh should draw lessons from India’s approach. “From now on, Bangladesh should allow protesters to reach the residence of the Indian high commissioner or the high commission to stage protests,” he added.
It may be recalled that last week, when a group of Bangladeshi protesters attempted to march towards the Indian High Commission in Dhaka, police stopped them several kilometres away from the diplomatic complex.
What Vienna Convention says
The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, signed in 1961, codifies the rules governing diplomatic relations between states.
Article 22 of the Convention states: The premises of the mission shall be inviolable. The agents of the receiving state may not enter them, except with the consent of the head of the mission.
The receiving state is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission or impairment of its dignity.
The premises of the mission, their furnishings and other property thereon and the means of transport of the mission shall be immune from search, requisition, attachment or execution.
Experts note that the convention clearly places responsibility on the receiving state to prevent any disturbance of peace or impairment of a diplomatic mission’s dignity.
What Indian press note says
Official spokesperson for Indian foreign ministry Randhir Jaiswal on Sunday said, “We have noted misleading propaganda in sections of the Bangladesh media on the incident. The fact is that about 20-25 youth gathered in front of the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi on 20 December and raised slogans in protest against the horrendous killing of Dipu Chandra Das in Mymensingh, while also calling for the protection of all minorities in Bangladesh.:
“There was no attempt to breach the fence or create a security situation at any time. The police stationed at the spot dispersed the group after a few minutes. Visual evidence of these events is available publicly for all to see. India is committed to ensure the safety of foreign Missions/Posts in its territory in accordance with the Vienna Convention,” he added.
Dhaka’s angry response
In an angry response foreign adviser Md Touhid Hossain rejected the Indian press statement because he believes it significantly downplays the severity of the incident and misrepresents the reality of the security breach at the Bangladesh High Commission in Delhi.
The adviser was talking with journalist at the ministry Sunday afternoon.
The advisor characterises the Indian press note as a gross oversimplification of a serious security breach and completely rejects its claims. He argues that the presentation of the event in the note is “unacceptable” because it attempts to downplay a situation that was far more complex and dangerous than portrayed.
He highlights that Bangladesh High Commissioner and his family, who live on the premises, felt threatened and panicked because the security presence was inadequate—consisting of only two guards who “stood silently” during the agitation.
“I don’t have any proof that they threatened to kill Bangladeshi High Commissioner, but we also heard that such threat was made,” he added.
The advisor emphasises that the mission is located deep within a diplomatic zone in Delhi, rather than at the entrance or in a public area.
“How a group of 20–30 protesters from a Hindu extremist organisation was able to penetrate so far into a sanitised area,” he said suggesting that they were essentially allowed to reach the mission.





