Singer Monir Khan, best known for songs such as Anjana, has opened up about a longstanding regret involving late actor Salman Shah.
The singer said he still regrets never getting the opportunity to lend his voice to a song in any of Salman Shah’s films.
In a recent social media post, Monir Khan wrote that Salman died only a few months after the release of his debut album, leaving him with no opportunity to work on one of the actor’s films.
“Just a few months after my first album was released, Salman Shah passed away. Because of that, I never got the opportunity to do playback for any film starring him. This regret will remain with me for the rest of my life,” he wrote.
Describing Salman Shah as an irreplaceable figure in Bangladeshi cinema, Monir added, “Salman Shah was an actor whose absence has never truly been filled in Bangla cinema.”
Monir also addressed the longstanding controversy surrounding Salman Shah’s death. “If his death was a murder, I sincerely want those responsible to be brought to justice,” he wrote.
His comments come at a time when the investigation into Salman Shah’s death has returned to the spotlight following the arrest of actor Ashraful Haque, popularly known as Don Haque, in the murder case.
Don was arrested at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport on Sunday, 9 August.
Following his arrest, Salman’s mother, Neela Chowdhury, questioned why the other accused had not yet been arrested and demanded that Don not be granted bail.
Speaking to the media from the UK on Monday, Neela said, “Who is protecting Don? Why are these issues not being brought to light? Why are the others still sitting at home? Why are they not being arrested?”
Neela has also alleged that Don had threatened her on several occasions and made various comments about Salman and his family.
She questioned how he was able to move freely and attend public events despite being named as an accused in the case.
“I expected to receive justice for my son’s death and for the accused to be arrested quickly. That did not happen. The main accused are still moving around freely. My only wish is that Don is not granted bail under any circumstances. He is involved in Imon’s (Salman Shah’s) murder and must be punished,” she said.
Neela also rejected Don’s claim that he had been Salman’s close friend.
According to her, Don once stayed at their family home with Salman’s support but was later asked to leave after the family became dissatisfied with his conduct.
She further alleged that Don benefited from his association with Salman during the actor’s lifetime and questioned whether someone who acted out of self-interest could genuinely be considered a friend.
Neela has also claimed that Don had threatened her after the murder case was filed.
She said he threatened her in September last year and even asked her to go to the Press Club.
Salman Shah died on 6 September 1996. The circumstances surrounding his death have remained a subject of debate and speculation for decades.
Nearly 29 years after his death, a murder case was filed last year following a court order.
The case was filed at Ramna Police Station in October last year by Alamgir Kumkum, Salman’s maternal uncle, on behalf of Neela Chowdhury.
A total of 11 people have been named as accused, including Salman’s former wife Samira Haque, actor Don Haque, Samira’s mother Latifa Haque Lucy, businessman Aziz Mohammad Bhai, David, Javed, Faruk, Ruby, Abdul Sattar, Saju and Rizvi Ahmed, also known as Farhad.
Neela has demanded the immediate arrest of all the accused, saying she believes they remain within reach of the authorities.
Meanwhile, Monir Khan’s comments have once again highlighted Salman Shah’s enduring influence on Bangladesh’s film industry.
For the singer, the opportunity to work with the late star may never have come, but the regret of missing it remains deeply personal.





