Hackers linked to Iran’s government breached FBI Director Kash Patel’s personal email, publishing photos and documents taken from his account, CNN reports.
The group released a series of images of Patel from before his appointment as FBI director, claiming they were stolen from his private email. A source verified the authenticity of the photos.
Emails dating from 2011 to 2022 appear to include personal, business, and travel correspondence, according to a preliminary CNN review conducted with an independent cybersecurity researcher.
Despite the hackers’ claims of penetrating “impenetrable” FBI systems, experts say the breach was far less sophisticated. “This isn’t an FBI compromise — it’s someone’s personal junk drawer,” said researcher Ron Fabela, noting that the files included family photos and details of Patel’s past apartment search.
Reuters first reported the breach on Friday. The FBI later confirmed the incident, stressing that no government information was compromised.
The bureau announced a $10 million reward for information leading to the identification of the “Handala Hack Team,” which it says has repeatedly targeted US officials.
“The FBI is aware of malicious actors targeting Director Patel’s personal email information, and we have taken all necessary steps to mitigate potential risks,” the bureau said in a statement. “Consistent with President Trump’s Cyber Strategy for America, the FBI will continue to pursue the actors responsible, support victims, and share actionable intelligence in defense of networks.”
US intelligence officials have long warned of Tehran-backed hackers retaliating for US and Israeli strikes on Iran. Patel himself was previously targeted in late 2024, weeks before becoming FBI director, when Iranian hackers accessed some of his personal communications. That campaign also targeted other incoming Trump officials, including Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche, former interim US Attorney Lindsey Halligan, and Donald Trump Jr.
The same Iran-linked group behind Patel’s latest breach carried out a cyberattack earlier this month that disrupted operations at a major US medical device manufacturer.
At the time, the hackers said they were retaliating for a missile strike on an Iranian elementary school, which state media claimed killed at least 168 children. The Pentagon has said it is investigating that incident.
The Justice Department has accused the hackers of working for Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence and Security. In response to the medical device company attack, US authorities seized websites used by the group, but Iranian cyber operatives have continued to claim victims and spread propaganda.





