FIFA has confirmed it will press ahead with consultations over its proposal to bring private investment into the World Cup and other tournaments despite growing opposition led by UEFA.
The world governing body announced earlier this week that it plans to establish FIFA Forward Enterprise, a commercial subsidiary valued at $20 billion. Under the proposal, FIFA would retain control while offering external investors minority stakes of up to 20 per cent.
The plan has faced strong criticism from regional confederations, which argued they received no prior consultation before FIFA made the announcement.
FIFA defended its approach on Friday and insisted every member association would have the opportunity to decide the proposal’s future.
“Our planned consultation process was disrupted by incorrect media reports. We will proceed with this consultation process to ensure that each member association has the ability to express its vote based on facts,” FIFA said.
The governing body also rejected claims that it intended to sell control of football’s flagship competitions.
“Nobody is selling football. This is not something FIFA would ever entertain,” the statement said.
“Everyone has the right to express their opposition and to seek further clarification but no single entity can claim to represent all 211 member associations around the world.
“Each member association should be allowed to review the proposal and have a say in shaping their own future. These are the democratic principles of FIFA.”
UEFA intensified the dispute on Thursday by voting to boycott all FIFA competitions alongside its 55 member associations. European football’s governing body had earlier accused FIFA of putting the game’s “soul” up for sale through the proposed commercial restructuring.
The consultation process will now continue as FIFA seeks support from its 211 member associations before deciding whether to move ahead with the investment plan.





