Hundreds of multistorey buildings have mushroomed on farmland in areas earmarked for the expansion of Barapukuria Coal Mine in Parbatipur, Dinajpur, with locals alleging that many were built to secure higher compensation once the land is acquired.
The construction spree has continued for months, fuelled by expectations of mine expansion and the alleged involvement of some mine officials alongside local residents.
It has come into the spotlight after Finance Minister Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury on Sunday announced plans to extract coal through open-pit mining from Barapukuria and other mines amid the country’s energy crisis.
Under government policy, landowners receive compensation equivalent to three times the mouza rate, which locals say has encouraged such construction.
Three- to four-storey buildings have been built across Bashpukur, Kazipara and Chouhati mouzas under Hamidpur Union. Most of the structures remain vacant, with several locked and lacking basic facilities such as roads and drainage.
Hamidpur Union Parishad Chairman Rezwanul Haque said nearly 200 buildings had been constructed in the areas — around 150 in Bashpukur and Kazipara and 50 in Chouhati. Of these, 40 to 50 have holding numbers. He said such construction had been continuing for about two years.
Parbatipur Upazila Engineer Md Manik Mia said no one had applied for permission to construct multistorey buildings in the area. Union Parishad Secretary Sajedur Rahman said unauthorised structures had not been registered and decisions on them would be taken during a government survey.
According to upazila administration sources, 22 officials and employees of the mine have also constructed buildings in the area.
Barapukuria Coal Mining Company Limited (BCMCL) General Manager (Surface Operation) Abul Kalam Muhammad Badrul Alam said land in the expansion area was owned by his wife, where a warehouse had been built. Mine Manager (Subsidence and Environment) Muhammad Akkas Ali denied owning any house or land in Chouhati.
The Hamidpur Union Parishad chairman has also faced allegations of having a building in the expansion area but said he would respond in person.
According to BCMCL, policy approval was given in December 2024 to acquire 300 acres of land on the northern side of the mine for expansion. Another 1.36 acres on the south-eastern side was approved for acquisition in May 2026, bringing the total planned acquisition area to 301.36 acres.
The mine authorities said survey work for the expansion was underway, with geological data collected through six boreholes. A proposal for the next phase of development has been sent to the deputy commissioner.
Parbatipur Assistant Commissioner (Land) Md Mahmud Hossain Raju said the administration had received complaints from local residents and legal action would be taken after investigation. Restrictions had already been imposed on accepting land tax payments in the area, he added.
BCMCL Managing Director Md Shah Alam said action would be taken if evidence was found that any mine official had constructed buildings there.
Between 1993 and 2007, 792.75 acres of land were acquired in phases for the mine. Earlier, 667 acres of agricultural land, homesteads and other structures were acquired from 13 villages.
Local resident Belal Hossain said compensation received during previous acquisitions was insufficient to buy the same amount of land elsewhere.
Homestead Protection Committee President Nur Mohammad Abul Kalam Azad called for identifying genuine landowners, paying compensation directly to them and ensuring rehabilitation of affected families.
Officials of the Dinajpur district administration’s land acquisition branch said the value of acquired land and structures would be determined under the Acquisition and Requisition of Immovable Property Act 2017, based on the average sale price of land in the relevant mouza.





