Barbra Streisand will be unable to attend the closing ceremony of the Cannes Film Festival after suffering a knee injury, despite being scheduled to receive an honorary Palme d’Or during the event.
The festival confirmed on Sunday that Streisand would miss the ceremony on medical advice while continuing her recovery.
“On the advice of my doctors, as I continue recovering from a knee injury, I am sadly unable to attend the Festival de Cannes this year,” Streisand said in a statement.
She added that she had been looking forward to returning to France and celebrating this year’s festival alongside fellow filmmakers and artists.
“But I am deeply honored to receive the honorary Palme d’Or and had so been looking forward to celebrating the remarkable films of the 79th edition,” she said.
The singer and filmmaker also congratulated the filmmakers participating in this year’s festival, thanking organisers and supporters of cinema worldwide.
Although Streisand will not attend in person, the Cannes Film Festival said it will still honour her during the closing ceremony on May 23.
Festival president Iris Knobloch, general delegate Thierry Frémaux and the festival team also sent their wishes for her recovery in an official statement.
Streisand is among three recipients of honorary Palme d’Or awards at this year’s festival, alongside Peter Jackson and John Travolta.
Travolta recently received the honour during the premiere of his directorial debut ‘Propeller One-Way Night Coach’. The actor became emotional while accepting the tribute.
“This is beyond the Oscar,” Travolta said. “I can’t believe this. This is the last thing I expected.”
The Cannes closing ceremony, where the winner of the Palme d’Or for best film will also be announced, is scheduled to begin at 8:15 pm CET on May 23.





