A total of 690 prison inmates out of 2,247 who escaped on 5 August 2024 remain at large, including three listed militants, the chief of prison authorities has revealed.
The Inspector General (IG) of Prisons Brig Gen Syed Md Motaher Hossain on Tuesday disclosed the figures during a press conference at prisons directorate in Bakshibazar, Old Dhaka.
Motaher revealed that prison authorities currently lack any identification records or information for 166 of fugitive prisoners. These inmates had escaped from Narsingdi Jail, where all official documents and the main server were completely destroyed during the unrest.
A total of 826 prisoners escaped from Narsingdi facility, and prison authorities have since contacted the court to obtain details on the missing inmates.
Of the nine listed militants who fled during the jailbreaks, six have been rearrested. This includes Jewel Ostad, who had previously been released on bail but was recently re-arrested by the police. Three militants remain at large.
The prison chief expressed concern over whether the fugitive inmates are linked to the recent discovery of bombs and bomb-like objects in and around the capital, noting that authorities are actively working on the matter.
Addressing the challenge of housing high-risk militants together in overcrowded facilities, Motaher admitted that overcrowding remains a major hurdle. While prisons are designed for far fewer inmates, they currently hold a massive population, making complete isolation difficult.
Consequently, some inmates have managed to associate within the same wards or buildings due to management weaknesses.
To address this, authorities have placed serious and high-risk prisoners under close surveillance in designated separate zones across all prisons to prevent them from contacting other inmates.
On allegations that former ministers and lawmakers of Awami League are using mobile phones inside prisons with the help of guards, the IG said while he cannot give a “100 per cent guarantee” that phones are not being used, the authorities are maintaining a strict stance.
Over the past year, more than 3,000 mobile phones have been recovered during prison raids, and the frequency of such incidents has gradually declined.
The jail administration has also adopted a zero-tolerance policy against narcotics and financial corruption. Over the past two years, 21 personnel were sent on compulsory retirement, 82 were dismissed, and 870 faced departmental lawsuits or disciplinary cases.
Additionally, 303 employees were administratively transferred to other divisions for minor offences, and any guard found involved in drug-related offences is handed over to the police with criminal charges.
Highlighting a severe medical staffing shortage, Motaher revealed that only two doctors are currently posted against 151 sanctioned medical posts across the country’s prisons. To manage the crisis, 101 civil surgeons are providing temporary, part-time services in different jails alongside their primary duties.
All prisons currently have pharmacists or medically qualified diploma holders, and Public Service Commission (PSC) has recently ordered the recruitment of 55 nurses, who are expected to join shortly.
The overall prison population in Bangladesh stands at 98,000, despite a total official capacity of only 45,000. While the average jail population is around 80,000, recent police drives have driven up the numbers. Daily turnover remains high, with roughly 2,796 inmates entering and 3,000 being discharged each day.
Between 1 June and 31 July, more than 26,000 individuals sentenced by mobile courts for short terms (ranging from one day to three months) entered the prisons, placing an immense burden on the system. The authorities have formally raised this issue with the government.
Regarding foreign nationals, the IG said that there are currently 379 foreign prisoners in Bangladesh jails. Among them, 170 have completed their sentences and are awaiting repatriation, which is being coordinated through their respective embassies and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
In the past two years, prison authorities have managed the bodies of 17 deceased foreign prisoners. Two bodies were repatriated to India, while three remain in cold storage in different morgues.
Under existing policies, the authorities preserve their identities and wait for three months before taking further action, pending a government decision when no family or country claims the body.





