At least four people were injured on Sunday when several hundred individuals, identifying themselves as Tawhidi Janata, attacked followers of the Baul tradition in the district, alleging that Baul artiste Abul Sarkar had made derogatory religious remarks.
A tense situation persisted in the town following the incident, with police patrolling various points to prevent further unrest.
The injured were identified as Abdul Alim of Sankrail village in Shibalaya, Jahurul of Jhitka in Harirampur, and Ariful Islam of Talebpur in Singair. All three are followers of Sarkar and are currently receiving treatment at Manikganj Sadar Hospital. Madrasa teacher Maulana Abdul Alim, aligned with the Tawhidi group, was also hurt in the clash. He was taken to hospital but discharged after primary treatment.
Witnesses said the attack took place as Baul followers gathered in front of Manikganj Government Boys’ School. Footage of the incident, which went viral on social media, showed some followers leaping into a pond to escape the assault.
Despite escalating tensions, the district administration permitted both groups to hold programmes in close proximity. Police said the groups had been instructed to hold their events at separate venues and in staggered time slots, but both sides violated the directives.
Locals said tensions mounted across several areas as the two programmes drew near each other in timing. From early morning, the bus stand and surrounding neighbourhoods remained on edge as Tawhidi Janata, Islamic scholars when Baul followers announced separate gatherings.
The Tawhidi group began its protest march at 9:00am from the Bus Stand and held a rally in front of the Post Office. They chanted slogans demanding the arrest of Baul practitioners.
At the same time, Baul followers were assembling near the school to form a human chain protesting the arrest of Sarkar.
After rally ended, members of the Tawhidi Janata dispersed and attacked the Baul followers, police said.
Manikganj Additional Superintendent of Police (Crime & Operations), Abdullah Al Mamun, said police brought the situation under control shortly after the incident.
Monir Sarkar, a follower of the Baul artiste who is currently in jail, alleged that a fundamentalist group became enraged by their protest against the recent destruction of shrines and by their support for BNP’s Manikganj-3 candidate Afroza Khan Rita. He said the group then spread false allegations against Abul Sarkar and called for his arrest.
Lyricist Shah Alam Sarkar said Abul Sarkar had not made any derogatory remarks about Almighty Allah or sought to undermine religion, but had merely questioned comments made by a rival singer. He claimed the issue had been fabricated to falsely implicate him.
However, Khalafat Majlish’s Manikganj-2 candidate, Muhaddis Salauddin, said Bauls have a constitutional right to sing, but any insult to Islam is intolerable.
Mufti Saeed Noor, director of Mitra Madrasa, claimed that the demands of Tawhidi supporters were not politically motivated, but stemmed from their belief that Sarkar had insulted Allah.
Baul artiste Abul Sarkar was arrested on 20 November following allegations that he made derogatory remarks about Allah during a musical performance in Ghior on 4 November. His arrest followed a case filed by Abdullah, an imam.
The court on Sunday denied Abul Sarkar’s bail petition.





