Israeli bombardments in Gaza city levelled at least 30 apartment blocks and forced mass evacuations, Palestinian officials reported, as US Secretary of State Marco Rubio arrived on Sunday for talks on the trajectory of the war.
Israel has vowed to capture Gaza City, where around one million Palestinians have taken refuge, framing it as Hamas’ last stronghold. Strikes have been ramped up as part of the campaign to dismantle the group, reports agencies.
On Tuesday, an air raid in Doha targeted Hamas’ political leadership, drawing international criticism.
An emergency Arab-Islamic summit is due to convene in Qatar on Monday to decide on further steps.
Rubio said the United States wanted discussions on how to rescue the 48 hostages, of whom 20 are believed alive, and on rebuilding the devastated enclave.
“What’s happened, has happened,” Rubio said. “We’re gonna meet with them (the Israeli leadership). We’re gonna talk about what the future holds.” He is scheduled to remain in Israel until Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Netanyahu signed off on a plan to expand settlements that would cut through West Bank land sought by Palestinians for a state. The United Arab Emirates warned that such a move could destabilise the Abraham accords, which normalised ties with Israel.
Aid agencies cautioned that an Israeli takeover of Gaza City would worsen already dire humanitarian conditions.
Gaza’s health ministry said two more deaths from malnutrition had been recorded in the last 24 hours, raising the toll from hunger and starvation to at least 422, including 145 children.
Israel has urged civilians to flee before further ground incursions. While tens of thousands have departed, hundreds of thousands remain. Hamas has called on residents to stay. Army forces are active in four eastern districts, much of which has been reduced to rubble, and are advancing toward central and western areas sheltering many displaced people.
Families hesitate to leave, saying conditions in the south—designated as a humanitarian zone—are unsafe and overcrowded.
According to Israel, five successive rounds of air strikes in the past week have hit over 500 targets, including Hamas positions, tunnels, and weapons storage sites.
Local officials reported at least 40 deaths from Israeli attacks across Gaza during the same period, 28 of them in Gaza City. Hamas saif that since 11 August, 1,600 residential structures and 13,000 tents have been demolished.
Figures from Gaza authorities say more than 64,803 people have died in the 23-month military offensive.





