Brick kiln owners, workers and representatives of several labour organisations staged a protest rally and hunger strike in Khagrachari on Sunday, demanding the reopening of brick kilns in the district.
They were seen chanting “Give us rice and clothes, or give us poison” slogan.
The demonstration began around 11am from the Eidgah ground adjacent to Khagrachari Municipality, from where a procession marched through Shapla Chattar and key roads of the town before gathering in front of the district administration office.
Thousands of workers joined the hunger strike programme, while protesters blocked the Khagrachari–Dighinala regional highway for nearly two hours, causing severe disruption to traffic.
The Department of Environment shut down the district’s brick kilns this year as they had been operating for years without government approval.
Protesters said the continued closure of brick kilns in the district has brought both government and private development activities in the district to a standstill, while individuals planning or constructing homes are unable to proceed due to a shortage of bricks.
They said the shutdown has rendered thousands of workers jobless, leaving families struggling to survive.
“We cannot even manage two meals a day, let alone send our children to school,” several workers said, urging the authorities to allow brick kilns to resume operations immediately.
Leaders from the Khagrachari Brickfield Owners Association and various labour groups participated in the programme, including association President Hafez Ahmed Bhuiyan, General Secretary Md Harunur Rashid, member Samor Bikash Chakma, and Tractor Owners Association President Md Ibrahim.
Following the demonstration, representatives of brick kiln owners and labour organisations submitted a memorandum to the deputy commissioner.
Deputy Commissioner Md Anowar Sadat advised them to proceed through legal channels and said he would review the legal aspects before informing higher authorities of the government for approval.
On the assurance, the hunger strikers later withdrew their programme.





