Thirteen Bangladeshi fishermen were abducted by the Arakan Army while fishing near Shah Porir Dwip in the Naf River on Saturday morning.
The incident occurred around 7am in Gholarchar area close to the island, when armed men in a speedboat seized three fishing boats carrying the men.
The fishermen, all residents of Majher Para and Dangar Para on Shah Porir Dwip, include Md Mostafizur Rahman,40, Md Farid Hossain, 30, Md Robiul Hasan, 17, Md Kalam, 30, Md Hossain Ammad, 38, Md Mir Kashem Ali, 40, Md Gias Uddin, Md Salauddin, 18, Md Mohiuddin, 22, Md Mola Kalu Mia,55, Md Abu Taher, 40, Md Abdul Khalek, and Md Jaber Mia, 24.
Abdul Mannan, a member of Sabrang Union Parishad’s Ward 7, said the repeated abductions have made fishing in the Naf River and nearby seas nearly impossible, creating severe hardship for fishermen and boat owners alike.
Abdul Gafur, president of the Shahporir Dwip West Para Fishermen’s Association, added that several boats had gone out to fish around 4am, and by 7am, armed men took control of three boats and captured the fishermen.
The incident has been reported to the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and local authorities, but fear continues to spread among the local fishing community.
Teknaf Upazila Nirbahi Officer Mohammad Inamul Hafiz Nadim said that while the incident has been reported locally, no formal written complaints have yet been submitted by the families or boat owners.
He added that the BGB and Coast Guard are being contacted to take necessary measures to secure the fishermen’s release.
According to BGB and local fishermen’s associations, over the past 18 months, the Arakan Army has abducted more than 400 Bangladeshi fishermen on allegations of crossing the border.
Around 250 have been released so far, including 73 fishermen freed on 16 February. Despite multiple efforts, 32 boats and 172 fishermen remain detained in Rakhine State prisons.





