Guardiola still undecided on Manchester City’s first-choice goalkeeper

TIMES Sports
3 Min Read
Man City have two top goalkeepers to pick from. Photos: Collected

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola remains uncertain over who will start in goal when his side face Brighton in the Premier League on Sunday.

James Trafford began the season as City’s goalkeeper but a nervy performance during last week’s 2-1 home defeat to Tottenham, including a glaring error that led to a goal, has raised doubts over his place. Trafford, 22, retained the position after Ederson missed the season opener against Wolves due to illness.

Speculation also surrounds Brazilian keeper Ederson’s future, while City have been linked with Paris Saint-Germain’s Gianluigi Donnarumma. Guardiola indicated that a definitive decision on his first-choice goalkeeper may not be made until after the transfer window closes next week and club football resumes following the international break.

“In this part of the season, and at all the clubs before the international transfer window is closed, everything is possible. It’s as simple as that,” Guardiola told reporters on Friday. “After that, we’re going to play United, in the Champions League, and Arsenal. After that, everything will be more clear and we’ll take decisions. It depends on the performance and it depends on many reasons. It’s not just the keepers, all the players.”

Trafford, a City academy graduate, returned to the club in a £27 million ($36 million) deal in July after starring at Burnley. Guardiola expressed confidence that the young keeper will regain his composure following the disappointing home debut.

“We take care of them. Of course, he was concerned – I would not like it if he was not concerned – but we are here to help them, no doubt about that. We’re here to support in the bad moments,” Guardiola said.

When asked if he had chosen his starting goalkeeper for Brighton, Guardiola replied:

“Tomorrow – because I don’t have a press conference.”

Both of City’s other frontline keepers, Ederson and Stefan Ortega, are in the final years of their contracts and have been linked with moves before Monday’s transfer deadline. Guardiola declined to comment on potential departures.

“We have a long squad and all the players may have signings elsewhere – maybe. People leave. It’s what it is. The transfer window is in that way. You have to accept it.”

Guardiola also confirmed that midfielder Rodri will join the Spain national team next week despite limited game time this season. The Ballon d’Or winner, who missed much of last term through injury, has featured for just 15 minutes this campaign.

“He feels better and needs minutes. I think they talk to each other and decided to select him. I never say when a player is fit; I always support them to go to the national team,” Guardiola said.

Share This Article